Meatloaf is often boring but this recipe is destined to impress your guests visually and satisfy their tastebuds.
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 25 oz. ground beef, lamb or pork
– ½ cup heavy whipping cream
– ½ cup shredded cheese
– 1 egg
– 1 tbsp dried oregano or dried basil
– 1 tsp salt
– ½ tsp ground black pepper
– 7 oz. sliced bacon
– 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream, for the gravy
– ½ tbsp tamari soy sauce (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the onion until soft but not browned.
- Mix the ground meat in a bowl. Add all other ingredients, except the bacon. Mix well, but avoid overworking it because this can make the end result too dense.
- Form into a loaf and place in a baking dish. Wrap the loaf in bacon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes. If the bacon begins to overcook before the meat is done, cover with aluminum foil and lower the heat a bit.
- Save the juices that have accumulated in the baking dish, and use to make the gravy. Mix the juices and the cream in a smaller sauce pan. (I use 1/2 cup of the juices with the cream but you can adjust as needed here)
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat and let simmer for 10–15 minutes until it has the right consistency. If you want, use a little tamari soy sauce to taste.
Nutrition: Per Serving: Carbs: 6g, Fat 90g, Protein 48g